1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal 1/2 cup cake flour 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened 1/4 cup almond paste, cut into half-inch pieces 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract 2 eggs 4 large egg yolks 1/4 cup sour cream 1 scoop freshly whipped cream handful orange or grapefruit segments (or a mix)
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with vegetable spray.
3. Whisk together the cornmeal, cake flour, and baking powder, and set aside.
4. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and almond paste on high speed until smooth, about 5 min. Reduce speed to low and slowly add confectioners’ sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined and pale and fluffy.
5. Raise speed to high and add the vanilla, eggs, and egg yolks, one at a time. Mix until well combined. Reduce speed to medium and add the sour cream and dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
6. Pour into cake pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake in the lower third of the oven until cake is golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan, 35 min. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
7. Remove from pan and top with whipped cream and citrus segments.
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s newsletter and never miss the best content.
Get everything you need to live healthy and happy.
Click here to sign up.