This hearty bowl is good for both your health and your soul.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 stalk lemongrass trimmed and lightly smashed with a mallet
- 1 2-inch piece ginger root, lightly smashed with a mallet
- 6 shiitake caps, sliced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp miso paste, dissolved in a little stock or water
- 1/4 cup raw organic apple cider
- 1 pinch ground pepper to taste
- 4 lbs chicken (or chicken parts) cut into large chunks
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup sliced scallions both white and green parts
In a large soup pot, heat the oil and cook the onion, squash, lemongrass, ginger and shiitakes for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the veggies start to get tender and lightly browned. Add the broth, miso paste, vinegar, pepper and chicken pieces. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer on low for about 40 minutes. Skim off fat and foam as it accumulates.
Remove the chicken and set aside to cool enough to handle. Continue simmering the broth. Once chicken is cool enough, remove skin and bones and discard. Cut up the chicken meat into pieces, return to the soup and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and scallions and serve. Yields 12 cups.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Kris Jenner: The Rumors, the Gossip and Coping With Stress.