- 2 medium rotisserie chickens
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced
- 3 large scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bite-size broccoli or cauliflower florets, or a combination
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium squash, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp all-purpose seasoning salt
- 1/4 cup pearled barley
- 1 cup pastina pasta
Stock (Use the first four ingredients):
Remove the meat from the chickens.
Shred and chop the meat into bite-size pieces, cover and refrigerate to add to the soup later.
In a large pot, combine the chicken skin and carcass with 6 cups of water, the onion, carrot and celery.
Cook for 1 hour over medium heat, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface.
Strain the stock through a colander into a large bowl, discarding the solids.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place the stock back into the large pot.
Add the chicken, carrots, celery, scallions, broccoli or cauliflower, zucchini, squash, chili powder, cumin, all-purpose seasoning salt and barley.
Simmer for 1 hour.
Add the pastina pasta and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Kris Jenner: The Rumors, the Gossip and Coping With Stress.