Packaged mayonnaise contains additives such as cornstarch, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial flavors and colors. But in it's most basic form, the ingredients in mayo aren't bad for you -- eggs, vinegar, mustard, and oil. Make mayo healthy again by trying this easy DIY recipe. Just remember to eat it in moderation.
Recipe from America's Test Kitchen
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus 1 additional tsp
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- ground (white or black) pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup canola oil
1. In a food processor, combine yolks, lemon juice, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper until combined (about 10 seconds).
2. With machine running, gradually add oil in slow steady stream (process should take about 30 seconds); scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and process five seconds longer.
3. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Why You Should Eat Mayo Again.