Protein powder is extremely popular right now because it gives you almost all the nutrients you need and is so easy to add to any recipe. Plant-based protein powder will even give you some extra vitamins and minerals, and it's the perfect alternative to whey protein for people who need something dairy-free. Trainer Chris Powell recommends looking carefully at the ingredients of your protein powder to avoid artificial ingredients and says that "less is more".
Recipe from Fork & Beans.com
- 1/2 cup almond meal (substitute sunflower seed flour for nut-free recipe)
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp carob powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp maca powder (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
1. Grind the chia seed and hemp hearts in a coffee or spice grinder individually until a fine flour. Be careful not to overgrind.
2. Mix together all the ingredients together and store in an air-tight container in a dry, dark place.
3. Use 4 tablespoons in a smoothie. When blending into a smoothie, add the liquid first, then any fruits or leafy greens next, and then this protein powder last to keep the chia seeds from expanding in the liquid.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Your Personalized Buyer’s Guide: How to Pick the Right Protein Powder for Your Body.