Regular lo mein from your neighborhood chinese restaurant is most likely loaded with calories and fat, due to the oil. The beauty of Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien's zucchini lo mein recipe is that it is a fraction of the calories, completely natural, starch-free, and wonderfully nutritious. It's healthy and high in fiber, which makes it all the more satisfying. Lillien's alternative to the typical, greasy lo mein cuts the calories in half without sacrificing the taste. Eat up!
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium/lite soy sauce
- 1 packet natural no-calorie sweetener
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 20 oz (2 to 3) medium zucchini
- 8 oz raw boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen Asian-style stir-fry vegetables
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup quartered mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
1. To make the sauce, in a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sweetener, sesame oil, crushed garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon onion powder. Mix well.
2. Using a spiral vegetable slicer, cut zucchini into spaghetti-like noodles. (If you don’t have a spiral veggie slicer, peel zucchini into super-thin strips, rotating the zucchini after each strip.) Roughly chop for shorter noodles.
3. Bring a wok (or large skillet) sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces, and sprinkle with garlic powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon onion powder. Add frozen veggies, bean sprouts, and mushrooms. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are hot and tender.
4. Add zucchini noodles and scallions. Cook and stir until hot and slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
5. Transfer wok contents to a strainer, and thoroughly drain excess liquid.
6. Return wok to medium-high heat, and return drained mixture to the wok. Add sauce, and cook and stir until sauce is evenly distributed and mostly absorbed, about 2 minutes.
Recipe from Lisa Lillien's Clean and Hungry.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Holly Robinson Peete and Rodney Peete: The Diagnosis They Never Expected.