The secret ingredient in this healthy mac 'n cheese is the cauliflower, which is loaded with vitamin C and other helpful nutrients. This cheesy dish is so good no one will believe it's under 400 calories per serving. Plus, it's a great meal to have on the Day-Off Diet. Find out more about the Day-Off Diet and take the Day-Off Diet Assessment so you can find out which social support group is right for you.
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked high-fiber elbow macaroni
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower florets
- 14 oz raw boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 wedges light spreadable Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp wedges light spreadable Swiss cheese
- 3 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1. In a medium-large pot, cook pasta per package instructions, about 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave for 3 minutes. Uncover and stir. Re-cover and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, until cauliflower is hot. Drain excess liquid. Roughly chop cauliflower, and return to the bowl. Cover to keep warm.
3. Drain pasta, and add to the large bowl. Cover to keep warm.
4. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add chicken, and sprinkle with 1/8 tsp. of each seasoning. Add bell pepper and onion. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked and veggies have softened and browned.
5. Add contents of the skillet to the large bowl. Re-cover to keep warm.
6. In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir cheese wedges until smooth. Add sour cream and cheese slices, breaking the slices into pieces. Add remaining 1/8 tsp. of each seasoning. Mix well. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir mixture. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until hot and uniform.
7. Add cheese mixture to the large bowl. Stir until well mixed and thoroughly coated. If needed, microwave until hot.