Get creative and all an Italian spin on a burger to make a healthy hamburger alternative to eat all the time--even when on a diet! Find out more about the Day-Off Diet and take the Day-Off Diet Assessment so you can find out which social support group is right for you.
2 frozen meatless hamburger-style patties with about 100 calories each 1 eggplant, about the width of the patties 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning, or more to taste chopped fresh basil (optional)
1. Remove the ends of the eggplant. Cut three 3/4-inch-wide eggplant slices. Pat dry, if needed. Save the rest for another use.
2. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Place eggplant slices and patties in the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Flip slices and patties and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until fully cooked.
4. Meanwhile, to make the sauce, combine tomatoes with Italian seasoning in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave for about 30 seconds, until hot. Mix well. If you like, season with additional Italian seasoning.
5. Plate one eggplant slice and top with a spoonful of sauce; evenly top with a burger patty. Alternate layering the remaining eggplant slices and burger patty, adding a spoonful of sauce in between each layer. Cover your "tower" with all of the remaining sauce. If you like, garnish with basil.
6. Grab a fork and knife and dig in!
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s newsletter and never miss the best content.
Get everything you need to live healthy and happy.
Click here to sign up.