Get creative and all an Italian spin on a burger to make a healthy hamburger alternative to eat all the time--even when on a diet! Find out more about the Day-Off Diet and take the Day-Off Diet Assessment so you can find out which social support group is right for you.
- 2 frozen meatless hamburger-style patties with about 100 calories each
- 1 eggplant, about the width of the patties
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning, or more to taste
- chopped fresh basil (optional)
1. Remove the ends of the eggplant. Cut three 3/4-inch-wide eggplant slices. Pat dry, if needed. Save the rest for another use.
2. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Place eggplant slices and patties in the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Flip slices and patties and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until fully cooked.
4. Meanwhile, to make the sauce, combine tomatoes with Italian seasoning in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave for about 30 seconds, until hot. Mix well. If you like, season with additional Italian seasoning.
5. Plate one eggplant slice and top with a spoonful of sauce; evenly top with a burger patty. Alternate layering the remaining eggplant slices and burger patty, adding a spoonful of sauce in between each layer. Cover your "tower" with all of the remaining sauce. If you like, garnish with basil.
6. Grab a fork and knife and dig in!
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!