A quick and easy instant pot chicken and rice is the perfect one-pot meal for busy weeknights. The instant pot is an amazing device that combines the best features of a slow cooker and a pressure cooker — it regulates heat automatically and cooks dishes in record time! Save yourself the hassle and forget the takeout — you can now make the ultimate comfort food with tender chicken, juicy mushrooms, and fragrant rice right at home.
This recipe is adapted from Pressure Cooker Recipes.
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, marinated
- 6-8 chicken drumsticks, marinated
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Shredded ginger, for garnish
- Green onions. for garnish
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce (not low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine
- A dash of white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp ginger, shredded
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
1. Rehydrate dried shiitake mushrooms by placing in cold water for 20 minutes.
2. Make the marinade by combining light and dark soy sauce, sugar, corn starch, rice wine, white pepper powder, ginger, and five spice powder. Cut drumsticks into two pieces and marinate in mixture with mushrooms for 20 minutes.
3. Rinse rice under cold water until water is clear. Drain.
4. Add rice, one teaspoon of salt, marinated chicken and mushrooms, and 11/2 cups of water into pressure cooker.
5. Close the lid. Cook on high pressure for nine minutes then natural release for 15 minutes.
6. Serve and enjoy.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Your Food Deconstructed: Deli Meats.