Recipe from Ultimate Veg: Easy & Delicious Meals for Everyone, By Jamie Oliver
While you may not think vegetables and comfort food are synonymous, Jamie Oliver makes it work in this cottage pie recipe. The richness of his vegetable filling won't even make you miss meat and the decadent mashed potatoes on top will make this hearty dish a crowd-pleaser.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 large leeks
- 3 carrots
- 1 lb rutabaga
- 1 lb celery root
- olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 4 1/2 lbs potatoes
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- splash reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can green lentils
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a blender, cover the mushrooms with 2 1/2 cups of boiling water.
3. Trim, wash, and slice the leeks (3/4-inch thick). Scrub the carrots, rutabaga, and celery root and chop to roughly the same size.
4. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil into a large casserole pan on medium heat, strip in the roasemary, fry for 1 minute to crisp up, then remove to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add the cumin seed and the prepped veggies to the rosemary-flavored oil, season with sea salt and black pepper, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop the potatoes, cook in a pan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes, or until tender, and drain well. Mash with the butter and milk and season to taste.
6. Quarter the onion and add to the porcini in the blender. Also add in Marmite and tomato paste and blend until smooth. Pour mixture into the vegetable pan and cook for 20 minutes, or until dark and caramelized, stirring regularly and scraping up any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
7. Add the lentils (including the juices) into the vegetable pan, bring to a boil, then season to taste.
8. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the vegetable mix, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden and bubbling at the edges. Sprinkle over the crispy rosemary. Serve with simple steamed seasonal greens.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Breaking Food News: Trends & Traps You Need to Know About.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!