Jamika Pessoa's flavorful sweet potato bread pudding is the perfect dish for brunch or to enjoy as a weeknight dessert. The best part? This dish is low in carbs and calories so you can enjoy all the flavors with none of the guilt.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 2-3 cups peeled, diced sweet potatoes
- cooking spray for pan
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 (12 oz) can low-fat evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 cups cubed French bread
- 1 cup vanilla frozen yogurt
- 2 tbsp bourbon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place diced sweet potatoes in microwave safe container. Cover it with plastic wrap and heat for 6-8 minutes or until fork tender.
3. Roughly smash the sweet potatoes and set them aside to cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, beat low-fat milk, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
5. Add bread cubes to bowl and mix until bread is completely covered with liquid. Fold in sweet potatoes. Soak for 20-30 minutes.
6. Pour mixture into baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes to an hour until crust is golden and pudding is set. Set aside to cool slightly before cutting.
7. Mix melted yogurt and bourbon and drizzle over bread pudding to serve.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Oz Investigates: Hydrogen Peroxide: Does Your Favorite Home Cure Actually Work?.