Upgrade your egg-in-a-hole by putting an egg in the center of French toast and serve with a side of sizzling bacon! This brunch recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. You can even add a dash or two of hot sauce if you're craving something spicy.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 slices day- old Brioche bread, sliced 1 1/2-inches thick
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
1. In a large nonstick pan over medium heat cook your bacon. Once cooked, remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Drain off some of the bacon grease from the pan, but leave in about 2 tablespoons to cook the French toast.
2. Use a 2-inch biscuit cutter to cut a hole from the center of each bread slice.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together 4 eggs with the milk and cream. Season mixture with salt and pepper then stir in cheese and half the chives.
4. Dip each slice of bread into the mixture to coat, then shake off excess egg mixture.
5. Heat the pan you used to cook the bacon over medium heat and add the battered bread. Cook on one side for about a minute and then crack an egg into the center of each piece. Season egg with salt and pepper and allow the egg to cook for about a minutes on the first side.
5. Flip the toast and continue to cook until the egg has set, about another 2 to 3 minutes depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
6. Remove from heat and garnish with the remaining chives and hot sauce if you like it spicy! Serve with bacon.