Photo from Elizabeth Griffin
This recipe is bound to impress at your Super Bowl party. This Southern classic will fit right in next to traditional appetizers like chips and dip. For a healthier option, ditch the oil and use an air fryer instead!
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 1 cup quick cook grits
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, small diced
- oil, for frying
1. Preheat oil to 365˚F in a pot.
2. In a bowl, add grits, flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and whisk to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, add the buttermilk and egg. Stir until combined. Fold in shrimp just until combined. Allow batter to rest about 10 minutes.
4. Using a tablespoon measure, spoon batter into hot oil. Fry until golden brown and floating to the top. Remove and rest on sheet pan lined with paper towels.
5. Allow hushpuppies to rest a bit before biting into them.
**Dr. Oz Note: To make these in an air fryer, use 3/4 cup buttermilk in the recipe. Cover the tray of the air fryer with foil and spray with cooking spray. Cook at 350˚F for 8 minutes