This recipe works as a lunch option for those on JJ Virgin's 3-Day Teatox. You can make it ahead of time and eat it once a day throughout the entirety of the cleanse. This lentil-based meal is the perfect protein alternative for vegetarians, and the high amount of fiber will help the body to remove toxins. Enjoy this dish with fennel seed and ginger tea before or during your meal for added detox benefits.
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 3/4 tsp grated lime zest
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 oz baby bella or crimini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups canned organic black lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- optional toppings: sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and/or thinly sliced fennel
1. To make dressing: Combine the cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a small bowl; whisk in 2 tablespoons of the oil in a slow, steady stream. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the walnuts and cook until the nuts are lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Transfer to a bowl. Combine the lentils and rice in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped; add to the mushrooms.
5. Stir in the parsley, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Form into six 1/2-inch thick patties. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
6. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned and heated through 9 to 10 minutes (You can cook in 2 batches of 3 patties each if you don’t have a skillet large enough for all 6.)
7. Transfer to serving plates and top with any of the optional toppings and the cilantro dressing.