During your summer BBQ it's important that you don't forget dessert! Indulge in this naturally-sweetened blueberry crumble. Made with nutritious rolled oats and antioxidant-rich blueberries, this healthier dessert dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (or flour, if preferred)
- 4 cups blueberries
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-4 tbsp butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 small container heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the honey, 1 cup coconut sugar, cornstarch (or flour), blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, and ground ginger to make the fruit filling. Stir together until thoroughly incorporated, then set aside.
3. In a separate mixing bowl make the crumble topping. Stir together the whole wheat flour and rolled oats. Add the cubed butter, and use a fork or your hands to gently work the butter into the flour and oat mixture, until everything becomes the texture of wet sand (like when making a pie crust). Then, stir in 1/2 cup of coconut sugar and set aside.
4. Grease a 9-inch pie plate (or 8-inch square baking dish).
5. Dump the fruit filling into the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle crumble topping evenly over the fruit.
6. Bake at 350°F for about 40 to 45 minutes, until topping is lightly-browned and filling is bubbly.
7. While the crumble cools, beat the heavy whipping cream at medium-high speed with an electric hand mixer (or in a stand mixer) until soft peaks begin to form. Add 1/4 cup coconut sugar and vanilla (if using), and whip again until fluffy. Serve on top of your crumble.
For more Dr. Oz wellness tips, recipes, and exclusive sneak peeks from The Dr. Oz Show, subscribe to the Dr. Oz newsletter.