The Kitchen Diva, Angela Medearis, whips up a nutrient-rich meal using her key ingredient - buttermilk. Surprisingly, buttermilk does not contain butter. Similar to yogurt, buttermilk contains living microorganisms that become active in your intestines to help with digestion by fighting bad bacteria and stimulating the immune system. Take advantage of these benefits now with the recipe below!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded jicama
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup sugar substitute
- 1/2 tbsp organic honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup low-fat olive oil or canola mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tbsp coarse-grained mustard
Using a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, the buttermilk, and the mustard together until well blended. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the coleslaw and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight before serving.
COPYRIGHT 2010 (c) ANGELA SHELF MEDEARIS, THE KITCHEN DIVA!