In just five minutes you can whip up this delicious, chocolatey dessert that is low in calories and high in nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and iron. Snack on these when you're craving something sweet.
Recipe from Food for Life: Delicious & Healthy Comfort Food from My Table to Yours! by Laila Ali
- 8 oz pitted, dried dates
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp unreﬁned coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- unsweetened grated coconut (optional)
- crushed pink peppercorns (optional)
1. In a food processor, combine the dates, almonds, maple syrup, oil, cocoa powder, almond extract, cinnamon, lemon zest, and salt. Process until the dates and almonds break down with some almond pieces still visible and the mixture starts to form a ball.
2. Remove from the machine. Spread a little cocoa powder and/or grated coconut over a plate. Form the mixture into roughly 1½-inch balls and roll them in the cocoa powder (or coconut), pressing it in with your hands and adding a sprinkle of pink peppercorns to the mix, if you like.
3. Place on a decorative plate and serve, or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to three months.
**Note: Calorie count does not include optional ingredients.