While many people assume that lamb is very fatty and unhealthy, the opposite is true. As journalist and author Mark Schatzker explains, lamb is loaded with over 23 grams of protein, nutrients like zinc, selenium, vitamin B12, and only 6.6 grams of fat. Best of all, a serving of lamb is only 160 calories so you can enjoy these delicious kebabs without wrecking your wellness goals.
2 tbsp minced fresh oregano
5 green onions, white and pale green portions, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 lbs boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup plain yogurt
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1. Marinate the lamb.
2. Place eight bamboo skewers in cold water to soak until ready to use.
3. Grate three teaspoons of zest from the lemons and squeeze five tablespoons juice. In a shallow glass or ceramic dish just large enough to hold the lamb in a single layer, combine two teaspoons of the lemon zest, three tablespoons of the lemon juice, the oregano, half each of the green onions and garlic, and the olive oil. Season the lamb generously with salt and pepper. Add the lamb to the marinade and turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
4. Make the yogurt sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, cucumber, the remaining one teaspoon lemon zest and two tablespoons lemon juice, and the remaining green onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
5. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct-heat grilling over high heat and oil the grill rack. Or preheat a broiler.
6. Remove the lamb from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Thread the lamb onto the skewers. Place on the grill rack, or put on a baking sheet and place under the broiler. Cook, turning once, six or seven minutes for medium-rare, or until done to your liking. Divide the skewers among four plates and serve with the yogurt sauce.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.