- 4 stalk lemongrass, white only,crushed
- 1 large hand ginger, sliced
- 1 whole fresh turmeric root or 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium daikon, peeled
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- 3 Thai bird chilis, halved
- 1/2 cup naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2 quarts fresh chicken stock
- 5-6 lbs canola oil for cooking
- 1 (5-6 lb) naturally raised organic whole chicken
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large, wide pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat the bottom. Add celery, carrots, onions, peppercorns, star anise, lemongrass, turmeric, chilis, ginger and soy sauce. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until aromatic and vegetables are softened. Add the stock, taste and adjust seasoning.
Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pot breast side up. It should be completely covered with stock, but if not, add more.
Cover and bring just to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and barely simmer for 30 minutes. Add daikon, cover and simmer 15 more minutes. Turn off the heat and let the pot stand, covered, 30 minutes to 1 hour (the chicken won’t cook any further after 30 minutes). Remove the chicken and strain the broth, reserving the vegetables. Taste broth and adjust seasoning. Carve the chicken and serve with the vegetables and bowls of the broth.