Cod is a heavy source of protein, and this recipe is filled with healthy ingredients, including garlic, which reduces blood pressure; olive oil, which boosts brain health; and tomatoes, which help prevent and protect against cancer.
- 8 oz cod, cut into four 2-ounce pieces
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup leeks, washed and white part only diced
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 small bottle of Moscato (187 ml)
- 1/2 cup golden cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, cut in half
- 2 tsp capers
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 lemon, zested
Season cut fish with pepper on both sides and set aside.
In a nonstick sauté pan or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Dredge the fish in whole-wheat flour and place in heated oil top side down and sauté until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Turn fish over, push to one side and tilt pan, allowing any oil to gather at the opposite end, and add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to that. Then add the garlic and leeks to the oil and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Sprinkle parsley on top of fish. Turn the heat to high, add the Moscato, deglazing the pan, then add the tomatoes, olives and capers. As soon as the sauce bubbles, take the fish out and set aside.
Finish the sauce by adding the basil and lemon zest. Place the fish on plates and pour the sauce over the top.