If you find that eating carbs causes an insulin spike, you don't have to give them up completely. As nutritionist Kellyann Petrucci reminds us, whole grains like quinoa have actually been linked to blood sugar control, so you can get your fill of fiber (which helps prevent bloating) and plenty of protein too. Try this fresh and flavorful recipe from Delish.com to boost your metabolism and enjoy carbs the smart way.
- For the salad: 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 medium cucumbers, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- For the dressing: 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
1. In a large bowl combine quinoa, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, avocado, feta, and parsley.
2. Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, honey, and garlic. Season with salt, red pepper flakes, and oregano and whisk until combined.
3. Pour dressing over salad mixture and toss until salad is coated in dressing. Garnish with more parsley and serve.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in The Dr. Oz Stress Challenge.