The crust of this pie is made out of nuts, coconut oil, oats, and spices instead of the typical flour, butter, and sugar. This low-calorie dessert is sure to be a delicious crowd-pleaser at your next event.
Recipe from At Home with Natalie: Simple Recipes for Healthy Living from My Family's Kitchen to Yours, By Natalie Morales
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 5 tbsp coconut oil, melted (plus more if needed)
- 6 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (plus 3 tbsp for topping)
- 1 cup whipped topping
1. Combine almonds and oats in the food processor to make into a flour. Then add in coconut oil, three tablespoons of honey, one teaspoon vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and salt. Pulse mixture until it starts to form a dough.
2. Press the dough into a pie dish forming it until the bottom and sides are evenly covered. Bake that in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes.
3. In a bowl whisk three tablespoons of honey, egg, egg yolk, one teaspoon vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk in the cornstarch which will help to thicken the mixture and keep the consistency.
4. In a saucepan, gently heat the light coconut milk and 1/2 cup of shredded coconut over medium-low heat until the milk is hot (not boiling). Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring continuously until it has thickened to a custard consistency, about four minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let cool for about 30 minutes, stirring once or twice
6. Pour the custard into the prepared pie crust and refrigerate it until it is firm like pudding.
7. While pie is in the refrigerator, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the remaining three tablespoons of shredded coconut out on the sheet. Toast until golden, about 8 minutes.
8. When ready to serve, spread whipped topping on the pie and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!