This quick pickling recipe can be applied to any vegetable. Carrots, beets, peppers – it’s up to you. It takes only two hours, and you never end up making too much.
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes or kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 jar with vinegar-proof lid
1. Peel carrots and cut them into matchsticks. Put them into a nonmetallic bowl or large measuring cup.
2. Combine vinegar, water, honey, salt, bay leaves, mustard, and fennel seeds in a saucepan. Crush or crack the cardamom pods and put them in too.
3. Bring to a boil, then take the pan off the heat and stir to make sure the salt is dissolved.
4. Pour the liquid over the carrots and leave for about 1 hour to reach room temperature, then refrigerate for another hour before eating.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in The Truth About Zero Calorie Foods.