This recipe is Total Health Take Back-Approved!
Forget the time it takes to make or warm up tomato sauce, and instead flavor your pasta with this no-cook sauce idea. Simply mix sliced tomatoes with herbs, olive oil, and cheese to create a delicious combination that's perfect to go over your favorite pasta for a delicious and refreshing summer meal.
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 pints multi-color tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lb bocconcini (drained) or fresh mozzarella (torn into pieces)
- 2 cups basil leaves, torn
- 1 lb whole wheat ziti or penne pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1. Place the sliced garlic and shallot into a large bowl and add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, large pinch of salt, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Stir to combine and let sit aside at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
2. Place a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil, season with salt. When the water boils, add the pasta and cook two minutes under the package instructions. Remove 1 cup of pasta water and set aside and drain the rest of the pasta.
3. Add about 1/4 of the pasta water to the tomato mixture and stir in the pasta. Toss to coat and stir in the cheese and the basil leaves. Taste for seasoning and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Garnish with Parmesan.
For more Dr. Oz wellness tips, recipes, and exclusive sneak peeks from The Dr. Oz Show, subscribe to the Dr. Oz newsletter.