With over a whopping 1000 calories, the classic Philly cheesesteak is a definite diet disaster! Author and health food guru Kathy Freston knows her no-meat cheesesteak passes a taste test that matches the original. The only difference? Her vegan version will help you shed pounds, not pack them on!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 (12 oz) package seitan, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices vegan Provolone cheese, torn into strips
- 2 whole wheat sandwich thins
- vegan marinara sauce (optional)
Pour the Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and pepper over the seitan while constantly stirring it. Cook for approximately 4 minutes or until the seitan starts to turn golden. Lay the cheese on top of the seitan mixture and reduce the heat to low. When the cheese is melted, pile onto the sandwich thins and top with marinara sauce if desired.