Sandra Lee's secret to quick and delicious baking is to make sure your baked goods are 30 percent homemade. This means you shouldn't feel guilty for using boxed cake mix, but there are other elements you can add to cake to make it feel and taste more homemade.
1 1/4 cups sparkling water
1 tsp almond extract, McCormick®
3 cups fat-free vanilla flavored Greek Yogurt, Chobani®
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen whole strawberries, halved, Cascadian Farm®
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen organic blueberries, Cascadian Farm®
1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur, Frangelico®
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted, Planters®
1 container of whipped cream
1. Move oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and water. Beat on low speed of an electric mixer for 30 seconds.Scrape down side of bowl; beat on medium speed for one minute. Pour batter into two ungreased 9-x-5-x-3-inch loaf pans.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 28 to 32 minutes. Remove and place loaf pans upside down on a wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Carefully stir almond extract into thawed whipped topping. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. In a medium bowl, stir together strawberries, blueberries, and hazelnut liqueur. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to one hour.
6. To serve, cut each cake into eight slices. Place one cake slice on each of eight dessert plates. Top each with two tablespoons fruit mixture and one tablespoon of whipped topping mixture. Add a second cake slice to each plate.Top each with two additional tablespoons of fruit mixture and one tablespoon whipped topping mixture. Sprinkle each serving with almonds.
**Note: For a lighter dessert, serve only one slice of cake topped by two tablespoons of the fruit mixture, one tablespoon whipped topping, and some of the almonds.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.