Mashed potatoes, while delicious, can pack on the calories and carbs. Try cauliflower as a healthier side dish alternative.
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 1/2 lbs), cut into florets
- 12 large garlic cloves, smashed under the flat side of a knife and peeled
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk, heated to steaming
- fine sea salt and freshly ground white or black pepper
1. To make the purée, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the saucepan with the lid ajar. Cook at a brisk simmer until the cauliflower is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Return the cauliflower and garlic to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, to evaporate excess moisture, about two minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the butter and 1/4 cup of the milk to the saucepan. Using an immersion blender, process the vegetable mixture, adding more milk as needed to make a smooth purée. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return the saucepan to very low heat. Cover the saucepan with the lid ajar to keep the purée warm.
3. Serve on the side of grilled and marinated skirt steaks and enjoy!
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in At Home DIY Beauty Kits to Get You Through the Holidays Looking Amazing.