2 cups all-purpose flour 2 cups sugar 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 2 tsp baking powder 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp salt 1 cup milk 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil 2 eggs 2 tsp vanilla extract chocolate buttercream frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
2. To make the cake, add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer. Whisk to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through mixture until combined well.
3. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add one cup of boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about one minute to add air to the batter.
4. Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30–35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely. Frost cake with chocolate buttercream frosting.
1. The cake batter will be very thin after adding the boiling water. This is correct, so don't worry.
2. The calorie count is only for the cake, not the frosting.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.