Jerky makes the perfect snack if you're on the keto diet because it's high in protein and low in carbs. However, most jerky you buy in the store is overly processed and high in sodium (and even sugar). Instead, make your own jerky at home with this simple recipe.
- 2 1/2 lbs pounds eye of round, trimmed of all fat
- 1 3/4 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
1. Slice the beef into 1-inch by 3-inch pieces with the grain. Lightly pound each piece so that it is about ½-inch to ¾-inch thick. The pieces will shrink as the meat cooks in the oven so don’t worry about the size.
2. Place the remaining ingredients in a large baking dish and add the beef. Toss to coat, cover, and place into the frdge for 24 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Remove the meat from the fridge and pat dry, leaving the spice mixture on the beef. Place the meat onto a baking sheet fitted with a baking rack making sure that none of the meat is touching.
4. Place into the oven and cook for 7-8 hours. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Once cool, line a storage container with parchment paper and add the beef jerky.