Photo from Elizabeth Griffin
Recipe from The Oz Family Kitchen by Lisa Oz
Salad is an easy vegetable to have at any holiday meal, but making the same salad every time can get boring. Switch it up this holiday season with an Oz family favorite — kale salad. This salad includes kale, farro, fruits, and nuts to make for an ideal seasonal salad that will make people want to eat their vegetables.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs Tuscan kale
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups farro, cooked and cooled
- 1 honey crisp apple, cored and cut into slivers
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
To make the almonds:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
2. Toss the almonds with 1 tbsp of oil and garlic salt on a large rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the almonds are lightly toasted, 10-12 minutes. Transfer the almonds to a plate and let them cool completely.
To make the vinaigrette:
1. Whisk the vinegar, oregano, thyme, maple syrup, and garlic together in a small bowl.
2. Gradually whisk in the remaining oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assemble the salad:
1. Tear off and discard the kale stems. In batches, submerge the kale in a sink or large bowl of cold water and agitate the leaves well to remove any grit.
2. Lift the kale out of the water and shake off the excess. Stack the leaves and cut them crosswise into thin strips. Spin the kale dry in a salad spinner and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Drizzle the kale with the lemon juice and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4. Using your hands, rub and massage the kale well. Let the kale stand for 10 minutes.
5. Add the cooled almonds, the farro, apple, and pomegranate seeds to the kale.
6. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.