This simple minestrone recipe is perfect to make when you're cooped up at home. Everything you need for this is already likely in your pantry or fridge, and it doesn't take long to make either.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, thawed
- 2 cups frozen vegetable medley, thawed
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp basil pesto
1. Heat a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium to high heat and add olive oil. When hot, add in onions, garlic, and sweet potato and season with salt and pepper.
2. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add in the broccoli, veggies, and spinach and cook until warmed through. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, and stock and bring to a simmer. Add in the bay leaf and reduce the heat to low.
3. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning and ladle into bowls. Top with basil pesto and serve with crusty bread.