You probably have a lot of boxed pasta lying around because of the COVID-19 outbreak . Use some of it along with fresh ingredients to whip up this flavorful and zesty dish.
- 1 lb pasta, such as penne or orecchiette
- Kosher salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bag frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- zest of 1 lemon
- grated Parmesan, optional
1. Cook the pasta in salted water 2 minutes shy of the instructions on the package. Drain the pasta but reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add in the onion and garlic and season with salt and the red pepper flakes. Cook about 6 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelize. Add in the broccoli and toss to coat. Stir in the pasta and some of the reserved pasta water and season again if needed.
3. Remove to a platter and top with the breadcrumbs and lemon zest. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan, if using.