Patti Labelle has been living with diabetes for over 20 years, and in that time, she's perfected this healthy sweet potato pie recipe that's just as worthy of a second piece as the real deal. To cut back on fructose, Labelle uses coconut sugar in place of table sugar, and she sweetens it with agave, which is low on the glycemic index. This holiday season, don't forget to whip up this creamy, reduced-fat dessert so all your guests can indulge.
- 3 large orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 large egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 lemon, zested
- Kosher sea salt
- 2 pre-made pie doughs
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes. Drain and run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel the sweet potatoes and place in a medium bowl.
2. Mash with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Measure 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes, keeping any extra for another use, and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, mix the mashed sweet potatoes and melted butter, leaving about a tablespoon of butter behind for the crust. Add coconut sugar, agave, 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites (leaving one for egg wash), milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, almond extract, and salt to the sweet potato mixture.
4. Add a layer of pie dough to the pie dish, making sure that it fits perfectly around the edges. Brush the inside with the leftover butter. Pour the filling into the pie crust.
5. Using the second pre-made pie dough, cut 1 1/2-inch strips. Lay the dough pieces on top of the filling to create a criss-cross pattern on top of the pie. Brush the top of the pie dough with whisked egg white.
6. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes on a rack in the middle of the oven at 350°F. Then, turn the oven down to 325°F and bake for 10 more minutes until a knife inserted in the center of the filling comes out clean. Cool completely, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.