About 6 or 7 sterile canning jars
Canning set, including pan, rack and tongs
Makes about 10 cups
- 2 lbs jalapeño peppers, sliced and seeds removed
- 5 cups vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
1. Put the peppers, vinegar, water, salt, sugar and garlic in a pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat until ingredients are at a steady simmer for about 7 minutes.
2. Using a sterile funnel or ladle, put peppers into sterile jars (jars can be sterilized by using tongs to dip each jar into a pot of boiling water). Fill each jar with the leftover liquid mixture leaving about 1/2 inch of room at the top.
3. Fill canning pan with water and bring to a boil.
4. Place canning lids and rings on each jar and seal. Using tongs, place jars in the canning pan (be sure to keep your hands away from the boiling water). Boil the jars for 10 minutes.
5. Remove jars from the pan using the tongs and let them cool on a heat-protected flat surface. Do not refrigerate right away.
6. Once they are cool, check the lid to see if the center pops up and down. If it does not, the jar is sealed and ready for storage.