Celebrate food and family with this pot roast. This hearty dish is a perfect way to warm you up on a chilly day. The orange marmalade adds a subtle sweetness that makes this pot roast all the more special. So warm up your table and treat your family to this staple comfort food!
3 tbsp olive oil kosher salt black pepper one 4 to 5- pound beef chuck roast 2 onions, diced 3 celery stalks, diced 3 garlic cloves, minced 2 tbsp tomato paste 2 cups red wine 2 cups beef broth 1/4 cup sweet orange marmalade 4 carrots 4 parsnips 5 large red potatoes, quartered 3 thyme sprigs 3 rosemary sprigs
1. Preheat the oven to 275°F.
2. Scrub the carrots and peel the parsnips. Cut them on the diagonal into 1-inch chunks.
3. Heat the olive oil in a heavy, ovenproof pot (with a lid) over high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of the roast and sear it for about a minute on one side and a minute on the other side.
4. Remove the meat to a plate, reduce the heat to medium-high, and add the onions, celery, garlic, and tomato paste. Stir it around and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften and the tomato paste releases its flavor.
5. Pour in the glorious wine. Then stir and scrape the pot to get up all the browned bits on the bottom. Add the broth and stir in the marmalade.
6. Return the meat to the pot and top it all off with the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, thyme, and rosemary. Push the veggies and herbs into the liquid, then put the lid on the pot and roast for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender. (For a 3-pound roast, plan on 3 hours)
7. Place the roast in a serving dish and place the vegetables all around it, then spoon on as much sauce from the pot as you’d like.