Photo from Elizabeth Griffin
Serve up grilled cheese sandwiches to a crowd with this super clever recipe. A dish everyone will love, this cheesy masterpiece features a French onion twist and mouthwatering gruyere cheese.
Get more recipes from The Dish on Oz.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 16 pieces of wheat bread
- 3-4 cups gruyere, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. When hot, add the onions and season with salt and pepper.
3. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often until the onions are lightly caramelized.
4. Bring the heat back up to medium and add the thyme and some red wine. Cook for 5 more minutes and then remove from the heat.
5. Brush a sheet pan with melted butter and lay half of the bread slices onto the pan. Top with the grated cheese and the cooled caramelized onions. Add the remaining bread and brush the tops with the remaining melted butter.
6. Place another sheet pan on top of the sandwiches and weigh it down with a heavy skillet or brick. Place the sheet pans into the oven for 10-12 minutes.
7. Remove the top sheet pan and skillet or brick and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the top slices of bread are golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and place a large cutting board over the sheet pan face down. Flip the sandwiches out onto the board and remove the sheet pan. Cut into small sandwiches with a knife or pizza wheel.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Oz Investigates: What You Need to Know About Fruity Sodas: What’s in Your Orange and Grape Drinks?.