1/2 cup pepitas 1 1/2 lbs (a fat wedge) cheese pumpkin (light tan skin, orange flesh pumpkin) 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1 small onion, finely chopped 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped salt and black pepper 1/8 tsp (a few grates) fresh nutmeg 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock 2 sprigs rosemary, stemmed and chopped 1 lb faro or whole-wheat spaghetti 4 tbsp butter 16 leaves of sage 4 cups baby kale, baby spinach, or baby arugula grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. On a small baking sheet, toast the pepitas, about 6-7 minutes.
3. Peel the pumpkin and shred on large side of box grater.
4. Heat a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, to coat. Add pumpkin and onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and sauté about 5 minutes. Add the stock and rosemary and reduce heat to low to simmer.
6. Salt the pasta water and cook pasta to 1 minute less than suggested time on package for al dente. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water before draining and add to pumpkin.
7. In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sage and crisp leaves. Remove to cool. Pour brown butter into pumpkin sauce, wilt in half of the greens and half the crumbled sage.
8. Toss drained pasta with pumpkin sauce and a few handfuls of grated cheese. Garnish with pepitas, remaining greens, and sage leaves. Serve and enjoy!