8 oz filet of red snapper, cleaned 4 oz brown lentils, cooked al dente 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely cubed 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely cubed 1 medium red onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, finely chopped 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped 1 twig basil / coriander, chopped (herbs of your choice) 3 oz veggie broth, optional (water) 1 oz half and half cream 2 tbsp spring onions, diced 1 medium lemon and zest 2 tbsp olive oil 1 tbsp butter (optional) salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 275°.
2. Add olive oil to a medium-sized pan, under medium heat. Season fish with salt and pepper and fry the fish skin side down in the pan until skin is lightly brown. Do not flip fish over.
3. Remove fish from pan and place in an oven pan skin side up. Set aside.
4. In the same stove-top pan, sweat the onions, garlic, and ginger. Then add the potatoes and carrots. Next, add zest and lentils and stir for one minute. Deglaze with broth, then add the spring onions and the remaining herbs. Bring mixture to a boil.
5. Adjust seasonings, then add the cream to the mixture. Cover and let simmer for additional five minutes while adjusting liquid content to stay pliable. Meanwhile, rub fish with butter and place back in the oven for about three to five minutes.
6. To serve, spoon a generous amount of lentils onto a plate and place the fish on top. Garnish with a wedge of lemon and sprinkle with fish drippings.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.