Eating healthy does not mean you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods! Great for lunch or dinner, this recipe has a healthy twist the whole family will enjoy. By adding broccoli or other vegetables to this dish, you can implement fiber and nutrients into your diet.
- 6 oz reduced-carb penne pasta
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp plain dry whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 1 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain; transfer pasta and broccoli to a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes.
4. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk; bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in cheese, mustard, and salt, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
7. Pour the sauce over the pasta and broccoli in the bowl; toss to coat well. Spoon into baking dish.
8. Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over top of the pasta mixture. Lightly spray top of pasta mix with cooking spray.
9. Bake until the edges are bubbly and the top is golden, about 25 minutes.