Yields 7 1/2 cups
- 2 green apples, quartered, cored and thinly sliced cross-wise
- 10 cups (4 to 5 onions) onions (red, white and yellow), sliced
- 1 cup scallions, sliced both green and white parts
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 tbsp sugar or honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Apple Jack (apple cider if you prefer not to use alcohol)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 4 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 7 1/2 cups yields
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a large oven-proof dutch oven, cook the apples, onions and scallions in the grape seed oil for about 30 minutes. Carefully remove from oven, stir in the sugar or honey, salt, thyme and garlic. Cover the pot with an oven-proof lid and continue to cook for 2 hours, stirring every 30 to 40 minutes.
Add in the chicken broth, Apple Jack and pepper, cover again and cook for 1 hour.
Remove 1 cup of the soup and process in a blender until smooth. Stir the purée back into the soup and cook for 10 minutes.
Serve each bowl topped with the walnuts and blue cheese.