Jerky is a great, high-protein snack, but most store-bought jerky is packed with nitrates which are unhealthy and have been shown to cause cancer. Eliminate the worry and the calories by making your own turkey jerky with this quick and easy recipe.
- 1 1/2 oz extra lean ground turkey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar replacement
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp blackening spice
1. Add the turkey, spices, and salt to a mixing bowl and mix everything together until a smooth paste forms: you really need to work this hard it takes about two minutes.
2. Lay out plastic wrap on the counter that's at least 12 inches long. Place the paste in the middle and place another piece of plastic wrap over the top. Roll the paste with a rolling pin into a thin sheet about 1/8 inch thick, seven inches long and two inches wide.
3. Cut the wrap lengthwise to make strips. Remove the top layer of plastic and flip the strips onto a microwave safe flat plate. Peel off the other layer of plastic wrap.
4. Cook on high for one minute, flip and cook for 30 seconds. Add a paper towel under the jerky and cook until dried and almost crisp, about another 20 seconds. Remove and place on a plate with paper towels.
5. Repeat steps with the other sheets, let cool and serve. Tip: If you like leathery jerky instead of crispy, cook strips 30 seconds less.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Food Truth: Where Does the Shrimp You Buy Come From? .