- 2 lemon zest
- 2 lemon juice
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tbsp granulated stevia
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, ricotta, milk, almond milk, agave nectar, applesauce, sour cream and egg yolks.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sweetener, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
4. Heat a medium skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and coat it with cooking spray. Working in batches, drop 1⁄3 cup of batter per hot cake onto the skillet and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Then flip the hot cakes and cook through. Repeat with the rest of the batter, making 8 to 10 hot cakes.