The three main ingredients — frozen veggies, eggs, and oatmeal — for this inexpensive and delicious recipe can be found at your local dollar store. A low-calorie option for those mornings you're craving a savory meal, this will become your new breakfast go-to that won't break the bank.
Recipe and photo from Nikki Dinki
- 1/2 cup frozen cut spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 medium ripe avocado, sliced
- black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
1. Add two cups of water to a medium saucepan and heat over high heat until the water boils. Add the spinach, corn, and salt, then return to a boil.
2. Add the oats and stir continuously for about 1 minute, then turn off the heat and cover the pan while you cook the egg.
3. In a small frying pan, heat the oil over high. Add the egg and cook until the egg white is set, spooning the hot oil over the white as it cooks.
4. To serve, transfer the oatmeal to a large bowl and top with the salsa, avocado, and fried egg. Add the black pepper and hot sauce, to taste.