A taco is a traditional Mexican dish composed of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. A taco is generally eaten without utensils and is often accompanied by garnishes such as salsa, avocado or guacamole. In this recipe, tofu, also known as bean curd, is the filler for your tacos!
- 16 oz block of firm tofu, crushed by hand
- 1/2 cup fine-chopped onion,
- 1/2 cup fine-chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp blackening, Cajun or Southwest spice blend (no salt)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Mexican chile sauce or taco sauce
1. Combine all ingredients except the chile sauce in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat one tablespoon neutral oil in a saute pan until very hot. Add tofu mixture and stir until the tofu and vegetables cook through, about five to seven minutes. Brown the tofu as much as possible.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the chile sauce. Serve with refried beans, soft tortillas, jalapeño, cilantro, and salsa.