One of the major rules of weeknight cooking is that it shouldn’t feel strenuous. Slow-cooker chili is a great option if you have a busy lifestyle or family. You can quickly brown the meat with the onions and garlic, toss in your favorite spices, and start the cooking process in the morning for a healthy and hearty dinner at night.
Recipe from Everyday Chic by Molly Sims.
- 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more if needed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- crushed red pepper
- 2 cup chicken broth or water
1. Pour avocado or coconut oil in a medium-sized stovetop pan. Add in the minced garlic. Then, place the ground turkey inside and let it cook thoroughly. Once cooked, drain the juices from the turkey meat.
2. Place the turkey and garlic in a slow cooker, mix in onion, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, and white beans. Season with bay leaf, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and crushed red pepper—if you like it spicy.
3. Add in either the chicken broth or water, then set your slow cooker for 4 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.
4. Top the finished chili off with toppings like vegan cheese, cilantro, and avocado.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in The New Collagen Trend Debate.