Research has shown that Monday mornings are prime-time for heart problems. Start your work week off right with this heart-healthy Sunday night dinner. Served with a big salad and a slice of whole grain bread, this Southwestern soup is something the whole family can enjoy.
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked organic quinoa
- 2 1/2 cubes vegan boullion
- 1 1/2 tbsp all natural taco seasoning
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp tumeric
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- Bay leaf
- 1/2 can green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 can green chilies
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (8 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1 chopped scallion
In a large pot combine the first 16 ingredients (through diced tomatoes) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until carrots are tender (about 15-20 minutes).
Ladle into bowls, then dress with fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, avocado slices, chopped scallion and a dollop of yogurt for delicious heart healthy boost. For a complete dinner, serve with a big salad and a slice of whole grain bread.
Recipe courtesy of Chris McLaws – Good Earth Catering in Park City, Utah