If you're craving a warm, comforting, and satisfying bowl of pasta after a long day, this recipe is a prime healthy alternative. The nuts in the pesto, along with the spelt pasta, make for a dish packed with a broad range of nutrients. Spelt helps regulate blood glucose levels and produce energy and protein, and is a great way to get an extra boost of energy.
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 box spelt pasta
- pine nuts, to garnish
- basil leaves, to garnish
- 1 cup tightly packed basil (one package, 3/4 oz, 21g)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, or more
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
1. To make the pesto, combine the basil, parmesan, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper into a food processor and process until smooth. Add olive oil gradually, and use more as needed.
2. Bring to a boil a large pot of salted water. Add noodles and cook until al dente.
3. While the pasta is cooking, cook asparagus in a skillet over low medium heat, or blanch them in hot water.
4. When the pasta is ready, drain water, and return it to the pot. Add vegetables, pine nuts, and desired amount of pesto. Mix and plate.
5. Garnish with basil leaves and freshly grated parmesan.