Make a spiced butternut squash pie this Thanksgiving for a fresh take on a holiday dessert. The spices in the pie bring out all of the best flavors of the fall and mix well with the creamy butternut squash.
- vegetable oil, for pan
- 1 (2lbs) butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 tsp light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger, ground
- 1/2 tsp allspice, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 piecrust
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit and arrange rack in middle of oven. Lightly oil a baking pan and roast the squash, cut side down, on prepared pan until softened, about 40 minutes.
2. Transfer squash from the pan to a rack and cool. Scoop out 2 cups squash from the skins into a bowl.
3. Whisk in cream, 4 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, the cinnamon, ginger, allspice. 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the nutmeg until smooth. Pour into piecrust and bake until filling is just set, 45 to 50 minutes.
4. Transfer to rack to cool. Serves 8.