This filling bowl is good for the body and soul!
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 4-lb chicken, quartered
- 1 red onion, diced
- 5 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise then sliced crosswise into half moons
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 cup torn fresh cilantro for topping
Heat the oil in a large soup pot, add the pepper flakes, chicken parts and onion and cook until they start to brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add the broth, leeks, sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano and bring almost to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer on low, skimming the foam and fat as it accumulates, for 40 minutes.
Remove the chicken and set it aside to cool enough to handle, then remove and discard skin and bones. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces, return to the simmering soup and cook 5 more minutes,
Serve topped with cilantro leaves. Makes 12 cups.