If you love to eat eggs and toast for breakfast but you're trying to ditch unhealthy carbs, this egg-in-the-hole recipe is the perfect solution. As nutritionist Kellyann Petrucci reminds us, it's important to swap simple carbs with complex carbs which is why sweet potato is such a great choice. Full of vitamins, iron, and fiber, upgrading one simple ingredient can make a world of difference.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- drizzle olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded white Cheddar
- pinch Kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped chives, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400° and line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise into 1” thick slices. Discard ends, or roast separately.
2. Place sweet potato on prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven to bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until mostly tender. Remove from oven and use a biscuit cutter to make a hole in the center of the sweet potato. Crack egg into hole. Sprinkle around the egg with cheese and return to oven to bake, 10 to 12 minutes more.
3. When egg is cooked to your liking, remove sweet potato from baking sheet and plate. Garnish with chives and serve.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in The Dr. Oz Stress Challenge.